Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Easter 2006

What a great weekend this was - 3 new birds to add to my life list and watching 30 or more red kites feeding in Bwlch Nant Yr Arian.

Willow Warbler



I must admit to not knowing what this was for some time but have managed to post on some of my nerdy sides and this is what I'm assured it is.

Teal

I have seen these birds before but they are always a welcome sight - this was at the Teifi Marshes in Cardigan






Red Kite

We see these birds regularly now - they seem as common in Mid Wales as buzzards are at home- but seeing 30 at a time feeding is always an experience.

Brambling

This was the highlight of the weekend for me - a small bird just before it migrates home for the summer - there were a pair in a throng of chaffinches some distance away.They are very similar but much more shy and reclusive.

First time I've ever seen one - there were a pair - the male has a darker head and was equally attractive.




Siskin


Although many people have them in their gardens at homes I can't say I've ever seen one- then on 2 seperate days at different places, Ynys Hir and Bwlch Nnat Yr Arian I saw dozens.Very bright and colourful birds they are aswel.


So all in all a great weekend - we also saw Gooseanders and Redshank at Ynyshir and Cardigan but were somewhat in the distance so picture quality was not that great - but, all things considered, a pretty good weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home